Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

korea---please help
Mar 8, 2005

Dear Dr. Conway:

I have a very difficult situation right now. I had exposure in Korea, and am planning to take the Elisa and an RNA PCR. However, I hear that the Korean subtypes are quite distinct, as in the following articles:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1154082.stm

and about a strange subtype B:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1154082.stm

Sir, I am going out of my mind with worry, and I don't know what to do or what tests to take. My question is:

Will these subtypes be detected by Amplicor 1.5 and by the standard ELISA's?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Response from Dr. Conway

I took a look at the news story you reference. There is absolutely nothing here to lead me to believe that conventional testing will not detect this type of virus. I would start by doing the tests that you are planning, making sure that you have tests for 12 weeks after the exposure to ensure that you have not acquired the infection. This being said, if the RNA PCR (not an approved diagnostic test, however) is negative, this is almost certain evidence that you are not infected with HIV from the exposure that occurred. But you still have to go ahead with the antibody tests, as the official tests of record.

Previous
Suddenly Dedectable
Next
did they make me start to early

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.