korea---please help

Dear Dr. Conway:

I have a very difficult situation right now. I had exposure in Korea, and am planning to take the Elisa and an RNA PCR. However, I hear that the Korean subtypes are quite distinct, as in the following articles:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1154082.stm

and about a strange subtype B:

Sir, I am going out of my mind with worry, and I don't know what to do or what tests to take. My question is:

Will these subtypes be detected by Amplicor 1.5 and by the standard ELISA's?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Response from Dr. Conway

I took a look at the news story you reference. There is absolutely nothing here to lead me to believe that conventional testing will not detect this type of virus. I would start by doing the tests that you are planning, making sure that you have tests for 12 weeks after the exposure to ensure that you have not acquired the infection. This being said, if the RNA PCR (not an approved diagnostic test, however) is negative, this is almost certain evidence that you are not infected with HIV from the exposure that occurred. But you still have to go ahead with the antibody tests, as the official tests of record.

Suddenly Dedectable
did they make me start to early