Meds and Breast Lump in Males

Howdy, I've been hiv+ for 5 yrs now and seem to be doing fine. Started out on combivir regimine, but after getting anemic and three pints of blood, I went off that for sustiva, zerit, and efivir. While on that regimine, I develop what appeared to be anal warts, but everytime I took an antiboditic, they went away. Finally after three year, my Dr and I decide to do a STI and the warts went away for good. So i assume they were related to the med. After four months off the meds, I started feeling fatigued and had sinus problems and I really didnt want to go back to the Zerit because of wasting, so we decided Truvada and Sustiva was the way to go. No side affects that I noticed for a couple of months, then I found that I had a lump the size of a half dollar under my right nipple. Uniform in size and really not sensitive that much, however I did have a mammogram and ultrasound done of it with no results as no indication of cancer, but more of a bacterially infection. After ten day of antiboditics, I still have the lump and was wondering if maybe the Truvada might have something to do with it. My labs are pretty much normal and counts are excellent as far as T-cells and viral load. I,m considering going off the meds again for a while(couple of months) to see if that might correct the problem. Have you ever heard of this sort of thing in a male and might this make me prone to drug resistance since i was just off meds six months ago. I feel great and other than the breast thing, have no side effects whatever from the drugs. Also im not on a testostrone regiment, so that can be ruled out as a cause. Thanks for the web site and keep up the good work you all do for us....

Rick in Texas

Male breast enlargement or lumps is fairly common. It may be seen more often with low testosterone levels or some HIV drugs (ie indinavir perhaps). It often will resolve over time. If you need to be on HIV treatment (ie history of CD4 count < 350-250) then I usually wouldn't advise a drug holiday due to a breast lump. Also, stopping Sustiva can pose some risk for resistance fouling up future treatment options if not done carefully. KH

FULL BLOWN AIDS
HIV/Headache