Lipodistrophy Legal Diagnosis ?

Dear Doctor,

I have had quite a few questions answered on here regarding ''New Fill '' and '' Lipodistrophy ''and have one more that good be quite crucial ?

Last week I went to court here in Holland against my insurance company,they still maintain that Lipodistrophy is a '' Scar '' and not a ''Mutilation '' as we claim,the later they will pay out for,the worrying fact is that the insurance company claim someone lost a court case last year here in Holland when the judge declared Lipodistrophy is a '' scar ''.

What I am looking for is an official statement in the medical world stating what Lipodistrophy recisely is,this can be international of course ?

If you could have been there sitting in the court room hearing the oppositions point of view you would have really got angry,I realise at the end of the day its down to money but its really a scandal the way I am being treated and this is obviously consequential for the all the other people in Holland suffering with the same problem.It was very interesting to hear recently from the Dutch HIV Association that in France since Feb 28th 2005 that the French Social Security with pay 100% towards the cost of having New Fill treatment ?

We are fully expecting to have to go to appeal and if I win the opposition is bound to go for appeal and if I lose will defintely go for it as I am determined to try and change things over here in Holland.

I would be very grateful for any advice you could give in regards to an official Lipodistrophy diagnosis that could be used in a court of law ?

Best Regards,

Roger ( Ex Pat ),The Netherlands.

An official definition of liposytrophy is lacking though there have been proposals (Andrew Carr discussed a working definition in a Lancet paper several years ago). Lipodystrophy in the setting of HIV refers to a constellation of fat and metabolic problems likely related to both HIV treatment (a complication of treatment) and HIV/aging/genetic factors. Mitochondrial toxicity from HIV drugs is a possibly unifying hypothesis for some but not all of the problems. KH

tipranavir,what do you mean by compassionate acess
Side Effects