Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lipodistrophy Legal Diagnosis ?
Mar 2, 2005

Dear Doctor,

I have had quite a few questions answered on here regarding ''New Fill '' and '' Lipodistrophy ''and have one more that good be quite crucial ?

Last week I went to court here in Holland against my insurance company,they still maintain that Lipodistrophy is a '' Scar '' and not a ''Mutilation '' as we claim,the later they will pay out for,the worrying fact is that the insurance company claim someone lost a court case last year here in Holland when the judge declared Lipodistrophy is a '' scar ''.

What I am looking for is an official statement in the medical world stating what Lipodistrophy recisely is,this can be international of course ?

If you could have been there sitting in the court room hearing the oppositions point of view you would have really got angry,I realise at the end of the day its down to money but its really a scandal the way I am being treated and this is obviously consequential for the all the other people in Holland suffering with the same problem.It was very interesting to hear recently from the Dutch HIV Association that in France since Feb 28th 2005 that the French Social Security with pay 100% towards the cost of having New Fill treatment ?

We are fully expecting to have to go to appeal and if I win the opposition is bound to go for appeal and if I lose will defintely go for it as I am determined to try and change things over here in Holland.

I would be very grateful for any advice you could give in regards to an official Lipodistrophy diagnosis that could be used in a court of law ?

Best Regards,

Roger ( Ex Pat ),The Netherlands.

Response from Dr. Henry

An official definition of liposytrophy is lacking though there have been proposals (Andrew Carr discussed a working definition in a Lancet paper several years ago). Lipodystrophy in the setting of HIV refers to a constellation of fat and metabolic problems likely related to both HIV treatment (a complication of treatment) and HIV/aging/genetic factors. Mitochondrial toxicity from HIV drugs is a possibly unifying hypothesis for some but not all of the problems. KH

Previous
tipranavir,what do you mean by compassionate acess
Next
Side Effects

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.