My Answer to Crixivan Skin/Eye Problems

Dear Drs.

This forum has been a tremendous help for all people affected by HIV. Many thanks. I saw the question regarding Crixivan causing dry eyes/lips and rashes. I'm currently on Crixivan 800mg, AZT and 3TC. Right from the start, Crixivan did a horrible job on my skin and lips. After alot of trial and error I found an inexpensive and very effective way of combatting this terrible side effect: First of all you need to moisturize every day (preferably after bathing) with a lotion or skin cream which does not contain any type of alcohol (isopropyl or cetyl) all over the body concentrating on the areas which are the driest. There are many inexpensive, store brand and name brand moisturizers which do not have alcohol (look at the ingredient list on the label). Lotions and creams which contain cocoa butter are the best. For the cracked lips I've been using Chapstick ever since I started my Crix and it has worked great. You have to use it all throughout the day (I've got dozens of Chapstick tubes all over my home and office). For the eyes, do not use Visine because it will agrevate the dryness problem. My doctor prescribed Patanol which is a common prescription alergy eye drop and it has worked great (two drops a day, twice a day for each eye). I know this forum is mainly for questions but I hope my experiences will help someone else battling this dreadful disease and the sometimes awful side affects of the drugs to combat it. Thanks once again.

Mike

Response from Dr. Pavia

Dear Mike,

I am posting your letter as is, since your advice, based on experience, is as good as any I have seen. Thanks!!!

ATP

What Is Viracept Actually Doing To My Insides?
Super High Cholesterol & Lipitor