HAART and Dental Problems

Have been HIV+ for 16 years, T-Cell count 980, undet. viral load. But now having dental problems galore! Have never had bad teeth, no cavities. On Fortovase, Norvir and Zerit all once a day. Can taking meds for long period of time be the cause of dental problems? Usually just put up with the pain, take pain meds when I can. And how do you get all this fixed without breaking the bank? I live in Long Beach CA and hard to find a dentist that will get me out of pain and fix teeth...insurance only pays so much, out of pocket for 6 to 7 root canals can get expensive.

Thanks!

Response from Dr. Conway

This is a bit of a complex question. Dry mouth associated with HIV may lead to an increase in caries due to a reduced ability to clear the bacteria that cause gingivitis and caries. The increased use of antibiotics in some HIV-infected individuals may also lead to an increase in the likelihood of secondary oral infections that might occur, with significant consequences for the teeth. Also, there are reports that some drugs (such as stavudine as a mak=jor culprit) may lead to bone loss and also be associated with poor dental health.

Truth to tell, there is no single "good" answer, but there may be a number of things that contribute to the problem you describe. Pratically speaking, you can get off certain meds (such as stavudine) and work with your dentist to optimize your oral health.

Good luck...

HIV+ & I can't satisfy my fiancee
Foot and Knee pain and swelling with truvada and sustiva