resistant to AZT and pregnant

I am currently 14 weeks pregnant and on a combination of therapy: Viread, Epivir, and Viracept. I have had HIV for 10 years and my viral load is undetectable. A resistance test indicated that I am resistant to AZT. Also, Nevirapine has caused a drug induced hepatitis in the past. What are my best choices in medication for myself and baby, to reduce transmission at the time of delivery? And all info indicates that if vaginal birth is done, labor should be short- any hints on how that is to happen?

Response from Dr. Conway

If your viral load is undetectable on your current regimen and you have been taking it for the first 14 weeks of your pregnancy, you should keep doing what you are doing. Epivir and Viracept are clearly safe in pregnancy. As for Viread, experience is limited, but no problems have been reported to date. Also, I would see little rationale to change it at this point, if you have used it throughout the first trimester of your pregnancy.

AZT was the drug that was first studied to prevent mother-to-child transmission, and it is highly effective in doing so. However, other agents work just as well, and there is no need to consider AZT (or nevirapine, for that matter) in a special way for you.

So, keep up the good work and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

Are untraditional Meds worth a try?
salivary/parotid...