gabapentin and nueropathy

2 weeks ago I started gabpentin for extensive and progressive sensory neuropathy in my legs and feet. I am taking 600mgs a day (and on combivir and nevirapine x 4 years) - the nueropathy began after beginning treatment, but my CD4 count was very low (now +260). How long does it take to see improvement if the gabapentin is going to work and should I consider increasing the dose? I have also been told that L carnitine might be useful taken with the gabapentin - what do you think?

That is a very low dose for HIV/drug associated neuropathy (often 2400-3600 mg/day used). If you are on any possibly offending/contributing drugs then an effort needs to be made to see if you can switch off them. L-carnitine or acetyl carnitine may be of some benefit but data is still limited. Studies of some new interventions (such as high dose capsaicin or propaptide 0) are under way in some areas. KH

what should i do?
Stomache problems & AIDS