Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HELP PLEASE Protected sex and HIV, am I overworried?
Feb 11, 2005

About a month ago I had protected sex with a guy I have known for about a year. I do not know how many partners he has had, but I know there have been several. He gets tested for std's every three months to be safe and he has used..although I can not be 100% sure about this..protection with everyone except one girl on birth control. His HIV status, however, is unknown. About 5 days after my encounter with him, I got a headache, muscle aches, fever, night sweats, and swollen glands. It hit me really hard and was gone in 4 days. I never thought about the possibility of HIV until this happened and now I am extremely extremely worried and have so much anxiety, it's hard to function. I do not think the condom broke, we used it from start to finish, however, when we were done there was a big wet spot on the bed. Is it possible all that was simply from me? Could it have leaked from the end of the condom and if so, how worried should I be? How at risk am I for getting HIV and how worried should I realistically be about this? It was one encounter with protection, but does his status put me at high risk? I got tested at 20 days and the test was negative. He is going to be tested next week. His last sexual encounter was before mid december(about 2 months ago), so if his test comes back negative and mine does as well (I am going to be tested again next week at 34 days), do I need to be tested again after that? Am I overworried about this?? Your answer would be so much appreciated for someone who can't get much sleep. God bless you for all your help and the service that you provide.

Response from Dr. Conway

The risk of transmission from such an event from a male to a female is low, and goes much below 1% if the condom was visibly intact, especially if you did not have any genital lesions allowing the virus to enter more easily. If his test comes back negative, then you can stop worrying altogether, quite obviously. However, if his test comes back positive, you should get tested to 12 weeks, although a megative test at 6 weeks would be extremely reassuring, especially without any new symptoms on your part.

Previous
Injectable Protease Inhibitors
Next
Why Is the Pipeline of New Meds So Slow?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.