kaletra monotherapy

hello! first thanks for this great site, it has been such a great help for me since I've got tested hiv+ two years ago. I'm taking kaletra and combivir now for almost 2 years and everything is working fine, virus load undetectable, cd count 350. Well, here are the questions: 1. Why should Kaletra be taken with some food? Does Kaletra need the fat to develop its effect or is it just to reduce the risk of a diarrhea? 2. Are there any news regarding Kaletra monotherapy? 3. Do you consider Kaletra and Combivir still a "modern" combination of meds? Unfortunately I'm resistant to all drugs of the NNRTI class, so I have to take a PI. I was thinking about switching to Reyataz because of the lower risk to develop lipodystrophy but my doctor said "Never change a winning team" and there's no need to switch to another combination. Do you agree with him? Thanks for your answers.

There is not much evidence addressing whether Kaletra monotherapy works or is advisable in the setting of some pre-existing resistance (the studies have tended to be in previously navie patients). Experience has generally been favorable re that a patient suppressed with Kaletra with no PI resistance can often successfully switch to boosted Reyataz (along with Combivir). Advantages of one of the newer combo NRTIs depend on prior NRTI resistance and interest in once a day dosing--the situations vary. I don't advise use of Reyataz without ritonavir in a situation like yours. The lipid/fat picture may be better with the Reyataz based regimen but more data is needed. KH

Uncomfortable Side Effects or Anxiety?
Persistent Ringing in the Ears