Frequent Muscle Spasms and HIV Meds

I have been on a combo of Sustiva, Epivir and Viread for 2 months now. This is the first time I have been on meds. I have noticed an increasing problem with muscle spasms and twitching on my face; especially around my lips and eyes. My eyelids spasm almost all the time now. I also have started having little spams in my arms and legs. They are very tiny, but annoying. I was wondering if this could be a reaction to the meds, or if it could an underlying medical problem that I should speak to my doctor about. Thanks!

Response from Dr. Conway

This may or may not be related to the medications. I would want to make sure your kidneys and liver are functioning well, and that you electrolytes (sodium, potassium, calcium, phosphorus) are OK. I would also do a test for the thyroid. These things aside, all nucleosides carry the risk of some muscle problems, which may be related to lactic acidosis. I would measure your blood levels of lactic acid as well as the creatine kinase to evaluate this, to see if we should consider stopping your treatment for a short while to let things settle down.

My head or my liver?
SEROCOVERSION 2 DAYS