Fuzeon Injection Sites

Hello, I have been on Fuzeon since Nov. 2003 and have developed scar tissue on my abdomin (injection sites). I am also a diabetic and inject insulin twice a day along with two Fuzeon injections. What can I do about scar tissue? My abdomin is really the only place I can inject since I have lost a lot of weight and have a problem with wasting. It is difficult to find an injection site that is not inflamed or "hard". Thanks in advance for considering my question. Roger

Response from Mr. Kurtyka

Roger,

I am assuming the scar tissue you describe is primarily related to Fuzeon injections. I've not seen many folks develop insulin related injection site reactions. ISRs usually resolve in several days which I would hope would leave you with some areas that you could then use again for Fuzeon injections. Let me suggest a few things

First, have you got any areas of your body with subcutaneous fat? Upper arms, buttocks, thighs? The arms and butt aren't easy for some people to use for Fuzeon injection sites, but having someone help you get to hard to reach areas would give your usual areas some time to rest and heal. Areas affected with ISRs should get better. If not, I'd suggest a dermatology consult to see if anything else is going on. Talk with your healthcare provider to make sure they are OK with you using alternative injection sites like your buttocks as Fuzeon isn't approved for injection in that area (no formal studies have been done).

You might have already done this, but check out some of the earlier posts regarding injections and ISRs. If you can do everything possible to minimize ISRs each time, hopefully you'll maintain more sites for ongoing injection. Inject with the needle bevel down, massage, heat or cold, antihistamine or hydrocortisone cream all are worth a try if it means preventing or reducing ISRs.

Some areas of the county may have access to a needleless injection system called the Bioject. Researchers from Vancouver recently presented data on this topic at the DART meeting in Jamaica (December 2004). From what I've seen and heard, a study of the Bioject system for the administration of Fuzeon is getting started and can be accessed from folks within the Chronimed/Statscript Pharmacy system. You may want to check this out as a possible alternative to the needle injection.

--dk

Drug resistance and lypodystrophy
Twice a day? Exactly 12 hrs?