Can Enbrel be responsible for HCV treatment failure?

I have HCV, genotype 1 and cirrhosis. Failed treatment with Pegasys/Ribavirin. I also have psoriasis and take Enbrel S.Q. twice per week. Could the Enbrel be the cause of treatment failure since it suppresses the immune system and affects the action of cytokines? Thank you

Response from Dr. Conway

Enbrel is a fairly specific inhibitor of tumor necrosis factor (TNF). As such, it is unlikely to interfere with the body's response to HCV or the response of HCV to interferon and ribavirin. It is clear that removing TNF may well affect other arms of the immune system, I am not aware of this leading to flare ups in HCV when it is used (concomitant HCV infection is not a contraindication to its use) or lack of response to pegylated interferon/ribavirin based therapy. It is important to remember that the response rate of genotype 1 infection to treatment is only 40% or less, a figure that would be even lower in the presence of cirrhosis. That is a far likelier cause of the lack of response to treatment you have experienced. Newer, more effective oral medications may become available in the not too distant future, and may well be of benefit to you. Keep your fingers crossed...

5-day-on & 2-day-off treatment
hepatitis c and deep kissing with gum disease please help