5-day-on & 2-day-off treatment

Dear Doctor Conway

Due to Lipoatrophy, I was just informed by doctor to do above-mentioned treatment. For your information, I have been on drugs combination of COMBIVIR AND SUSTIVA for almost 7.5 years. The viral load and CD4 have been <50 and about 450 during this period. Prior to take drugs, viral load and CD4 were about 28,000 and 298, respectively. Please advise.

Thank you Charle

Response from Dr. Conway

The concept of five days on and two days off (so called "FOTO") therapy is one that was meant to limit the cost of therapy as well as its short and long term toxicity while not sacrificing efficacy. Initial data suggest that it is promising, but needs to be studied within a controlled clinical trial, as it is not known whether it will lead to premature loss of efficacy as compared to continuous HAART. As long as you understand the potential risks and benefits, this could be a very good clinical trial for you to enter.

I would, however, caution you that it is not clear whether the FOTO approach would be any better than continuous HAART in reversing established lipoatrophy.

Too early to have begun treatment?
Can Enbrel be responsible for HCV treatment failure?