HIV and tummy tuck

I have been + for 13 yrs. and I'm 45 yrs old. I don't know if is the the meds or the age but I'm fat all around my waist I'm thinking on getting a tummy tuck. my cd4 is over 1,ooo and my vl is undectectable. I've been working out but the fat in the middle does not go away. I had always have low self esteem and maybe this might help me. Beside talking to my Dr. do you have any suggestions? beside the risk of all surgery.

Another think is that I'm always scare of meeting people for relationship, I would not know how to disclose. The depression is killing me.

Can you help?

Thank you.

In many cases the fat increase is internal fat (called visceral fat) and some of the "tummy tuck" procedures might not be as effective in that situations. Diet, exercise, sometimes hormone replacement, growth hormone, switching HIV meds around- all might help some patients with increased visceral fat in the setting of HIV infection. Your HIV specialist would know about those options as well as whether there are any studies open looking at the problem. KH

Sustiva and rapid heart beat
Skin side effects and HIV medications