side effects of lipoatraphy

I'm a 45 year old female diagnosed in 1989, currently on combination therapy. My doctor wants to change my medication to protiase inhibitors. I'm fearful of lipoatraphy. Please let me know about this side effect with this class of drugs.

Response from Dr. Conway

It is true that, historically, protease inhibitors have been associated with the development of lipodystrophy syndromes in patients taking them for a long time. This seems to be most common with ritonavir, lopinavir and indinaivr. It is much less common with saquinavir and nelfinavir. With atazanavir, not only does it not seem to occur, but there are a few cases where a switch from another protease inhibitor to atazanavir has led to a reversal of lipodystophy.

If this side effect is of concern to you, it can be avoided by a judicious selection of a protease inhibitor, as long as there is no reason to believe that the drug would not be effective against your virus.

Re: swollen parotid glands
Organic Dementia