medication to combat bloating with Kaltera

On 10/23/03 Dr Brian Conway responded to a question that the biggest side-effect to Kaletra was bloating. He said that it may go away with time and that be helped with medication to control the side effects. I have been on Kaletra for a few months to get my CD4 count up to commence treatment for Hep C. I have had a major problem with abdominal distension since starting it. It is not only aesthetically difficult but as I have BOOP, the interabdominal pressure caused with the bloating makes breathing more difficult. I wondered if you could indicate what medications can be used to combat this side-effect so that I can do something about this when next seeing my doctor. I have mentioned this problem to him and his response so far was just to acknowledge that it could be a side-effect but not to do anything about it. I have already said that I wanted to change combination due to this problem, but my CD4 count has almost doubled since commencing Kaletra and he is not keen to do this.

Response from Dr. Conway

One of the things I would consider here is a single drug switch of the Kaletra to another antiviral, as long as your viral load is undetectable. This is often done to address side effects such as this. Otherwise, if it is onoly bloating, I like to begin with simple non-prescription drugs such as simethicone and see how the patient does...

Acid Reflux/IBS
fibrates and statins