Spinal Neuropathy Treatment

What are the current treatment regimens? I have beeen using neurontin, but it is only partially effective. Due to a spinal cord infection which caused paraplegia I have sensory neuropathy in the buttocks area which results in unbearable pain if I sit in my wheelchair for more than an hour at a time.

Response from Dr. Conway

The issue with neurontin used to treat HIV or medication-related neuropathy is that it is often not used in high enough doses. I often push it to 1200 mg tid before concluding that it is not working. Another drug I often use is amitryptiline, on its own or combined with neurontin. I AVOID narcotics as they don't always work and there is a significant risk of addiction.

Your particular problem of paraplegia may make me consider other options more quickly, such as nerve infiltrations or blocks under the supervision of one of my colleagues in anesthesia.

alopecia areata and hiv
Condom scare