For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

alopecia areata and hiv

Hi Dr Conway,

I'm from Italy. I've a little (0.5 cm) alopecia areata and yesterday my dermatology doctor told me that I had to do many well HIV. Can you explain to me the link between HIV and alopecia??? thank you very much Raffaele

Response from Dr. Conway

Alopecia areata is a common condition that can be associated with stress, immunologic diseases and some infections. HIV can be a cause of it, but the vast majority of cases of alopecia areata have nothing to do with HIV. Unless you are at particualr risk for HIV infection, it sounds like your doctor is just ordering an HIV test to make sure that all the possibilities have been covered.

HIV+ with extreme back pain & nothing helps
Spinal Neuropathy Treatment