a question for you

Hi, I'm a student, I'm doing my project about AIDS. In the part of project have a interview people. I would one to ask you a one question: 1.What causes the disease or physical ailment? And How does a person get the disease. I will wait for your mail. Please mail for me soon. My email address is ashleethuytrang131@yahoo.com

Response from Dr. Conway

Most of the symptoms of HIV disease do not relate to the virus itself, but more to the effect that HIV has on the immune system. It reduces the ability of the body to fight off infections and cancers that it can otherwise control very easily. Such infections and cancers can therefore become deadly. It can take many years for someone who is infected with HIV to get this sick, and about 5% of people who are infected seem to be able to control the disease on their own and never seem to get sick. They are called "Long-Term Non-Progressors". Today, with the availability of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART), it may be possible to prevent disease progression from occurring in the vast majority of people to whom HAART is available.

I hope this helps you with your project.

Efavirenz + Vitamin Supplements = Dreams / Insomnia?
HIV+ with extreme back pain & nothing helps