Change from AZT to DDI

Dear Doctor Conway:

I have been on drug combination of AZT 200 mg twice a day, 3TC 150 mg twice a day, and Sustiva 600 mg once a day for almost 6 and a half years. Recent CD4 and Viral Load are 450 and <50, respectively.

The problem that I have is Lipoathrophy, veiny arms and legs.

I was just told by doctor that to lower this such a problem, I can change AZT to DDI.

Is there any scientificly proven study? How is about the potency of this new regimen?

Thanks in advance

Bye Tommy

Response from Dr. Conway

A single drug switch is totally permissible in this setting. I would have absolutely no concerns about the potency of this new regimen. This being said, you need to understand that at best, it is most likely that this change will prevent the lipoatrophy from progressing, and not reverse it. It may not actually even do that, so you need to be realistic here...but I do wish for you that the change is beneficial to you, and at least have the peace of mind that it is totally safe.

psoriasis
Switch from Zidovudine