When is it time to say enough of this already.

Dear Doctor:

In 1985, I found out I was HIV+ or had HTLV3 in those days. Since 1988 I have been on one thing or another and am down to my last option. It is working but has changed my life in major ways and I don't know if it is worth it. When is 'enough is enough'? I am sick every morning and it is all I can do to get one days worth of work done let alone take care of myself. Also, how hard is it to convince an insurance company you are ready for long term disability? Thanks for your help, look forward to your reply. Don't forget to be good to yourselves!!

Peace, Ronnie

Response from Dr. Conway

And peace to you.

First, let me congratulate you on being a long-term survivor. You have made it two decades, when I'm sure a number of people told you in the 1980s that you had little time left...

Now, I don't know what you're on, but I would reassure you that, in the near future, there are simpler and effective things that may be available to you to switch to, especially if you are having an undetectable viral load on your current regimen. You need to talk to your doctor about what these options might be. If you are not near a tertiary care/research center, you may need to travel to access these medications, so you should talk to your doctor about that too, if it applies to you. Perhaps having a "time limit" on the side effects and other issues you are having will make them more bearable.

As for your question about the insurance companies, you need to look at their criteria and talk to your doctor, as each case is different. This being said, most companies tend to be more reasonable than not, as long as you tell them the truth, so good luck with this...

THNX....from india!!
Will this lipo worsen?