Painful hands inside and out

I tested HIV + in 1988 and started on meds in 1990 with good results over the years. T-cells range from 600-1100, viral load usually between 300 - 1500. I've been having pain and numbness in feet, hands and arms for a few years so I finally went to a neurologist who confirmed neuropothy in my feet but carpel tunnel in my hands. No longer taking d4t and I had the ct surg in right hand two months ago. Pain is now more local to hand (not arm) but isn't back to normal yet.

I also have some very persistant exema on both hands for the past few years. Could this be related to the carpel tunnel? Maybe carpel tunnel and hand exema are common for a 40 yr old man but it can be very awkward and painful when I meet with clients. My hands often look and feel badly burned and peeling. Completing documents and even a handshake can be painful and awkward. I'd were gloves if I didn't think it would generate even more stange looks. I have lots of friends with long term HIV but none seem to have this problem with their hands? Is exema more common and persistent with HIV? Can it affect the nerves in my hands? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Drug or HIV related neuropathy usually does not focus in the hands as you have described. I would see a pain specialist and neurologist if possible to look at your options for symptoms relief (as well as your HIV specialist). KH

nausia
Re; Lexapro vs. Paxil