Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Mandela's Son

It was recently reported that Nelson Mandela's son did not actually die from AIDS related complications, but from organ failure caused by his meds, which he took for only one year. I'm on Sustiva & Truvada and I was wondering just how damaging these drugs were to the cells & organ systems. I'm thankful these drugs are saving my life & I don't plan to stop taking them, but I would like some frank appraisal of the risks & warning signs to be aware of down the line. Thanks

I don't know the specific details regarding that death. Out of several thousand HIV+ patients I have been associated with on HIV drugs, only several (5-10) experienced life threatening problems from the meds themselves (and that rate appears to be decreasing) so life threatening organ failure from HIV drugs is very unusual. Truvada and Sustiva after one year would have a very slim chance of directly causing organ failure. KH

are hiv meds making it hard to conceive?
Paxil Vs. Lexapro