The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

fat stomach help
Jan 8, 2005

In reguards to the question on "fat stomach help!!!!" from Dec. 30, 2004. There is an actual treatment being studied in conjuction with Boston Mount Sinai Hospital and Harvard Medical Center. It is an experimental Surgery in which a surgeon actually enters the abdominal area lapriscopicly and removes fat in strips from the "Greater Omentum". It has had remarkable success in reducing abdominal obesity and actually reversing diabetes and insulin resistance. It has only been done with 6 patients and is considered totally experimental. I have tried relentlessly to get into the study but don't seem to be able to come up with a contact person. My doctor here in Minneapolis has tried talking some associate surgeons in his health care system to try it on me, but no one is willing because the data isn't widely available and the procedure is too new and experimental for any Doctor to go out on a limb for this one. Maybe one of you "Experts" into this procedure and see if you could find a published paper on it.

I think it is worth a shot. I know that you experts are mostly interested in treating more life threatening conditions but living with the drug side effect themselves can be a living hell and ware on a persons self esteem and quality of life. Something to consider.

Frustrated in Minneapolis

Response from Dr. Henry

Thank you for highlight that development and keeping the heat on for this frustrating problem. KH

Time to change.....
Spinal Neuropathy Treatment

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint