Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Oral and Facial HPV
Jan 8, 2005

I am so frustrated with the oral warts which I have now had for 2 years. Although my cd-4 count is only 129 and has been for the last 3 years my viral load is near undetectabe. I have been to many ENTs and Dermatologists and all I seem to get is opinion and no "real facts". Are they really so rare that no one really knows if they are transmittable?

I have tried Cryotherapy, Laser removal, and am now experimenting with Aldara on my face and Interferon Lozenges for my mouth, but so far nothing is working.

The fact is that although my cd-4 count does not seem to budge I am relatively healthy and could live another 20 years if things go well. Am I really doomed to a loveless life, free of romance, and physical gratification?

I was seeing someone who is totally healthy and imformed them of the possible risks involved with these things. He didn't care and we had a very satifying physical relationship which ended because of a move.

He since has not presented with these warts anywhere on his body including his genitals or mouth.

Is all that I have heard and read just a bunch of hype produced by fear and shame rather than actual clinical data? Please help me understand this. Also it seems the key to getting rid of these wart is boosting my cd-4 counts above 300. Are there any therapies that could help boost my immune system and if not why isn't more being done to address this issue.

I would be most grateful for any insight or help that you could offer me. Thank you.

Frustrated in Minneapolis

Response from Dr. Henry

You have touched on a very frustrating problem and it sounds like you have already tried many of the usually plus/minus treatments that are available. Optimal suppression of HIV maximizes the chances that the CD4 count will increase but that does not always happen. Whether increasing th CD4 count by IL-2 would help HPV or other clinical conditions is not known and is under study (ESPRIT, SILCAAT studies). Hopefuly HPV will get more attention since it causes lots of problems in cervival, anal, oral, skin areas in many patients (with or without HIV). KH

Previous
Elevated Liver Issues
Next
Time to change.....

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.