IS being HIV+ a contraindication to qualify for gastric bypass?

I'm HIV+ 11yrs now and doing great! CD4 700s/viral load 100 or less consistently for 5 years. My problem has been depression (HIV resulted from a workplace injury)has led me to gain over 100lbs since I've beeen pos. After years of psych. therapy I'm finally OK with my HIV and now have to deal the fact that I weigh 292lbs at 5'6" female. My HIV MD says my type2 diabetes and hypertension are a direct result of the massive amount of weight I've gained in the last 5 years. The more weight I gain the more HTN and DM problems. I mentioned that I wanted to get Gastric bypass surgery and he said go for it! "At this point the HTN and DM are going to kill you way before HIV becomes a factor in your health." I spoke with one gastric bypass surgeon who said I am a great candidate for the procedure due all of my health problems, he has disqualified me as a candidate because of the HIV itself. He believes it would be deterimental to my HIV care if I have the gastric bypass. I have found no info on the internet yet that states HIV is a means for disqualifying patients. I just think this particular MD doesn't want to deal with my surgery because I'm HIV+ and he afraid of accidental transmission during open procedure. Do you have any more concrete info?

If you are doing well HIV wise as you indicate then there is no reason from the HIV perspective to believe that your benefit from the surgery and side effect risk would be much different than the standard patient. I would clear many of my HIV+ patients for surgery from the medical/HIV perspective. KH

Grapefruit
effects of HIV drugs on PSA