Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

IS being HIV+ a contraindication to qualify for gastric bypass?
Dec 30, 2004

I'm HIV+ 11yrs now and doing great! CD4 700s/viral load 100 or less consistently for 5 years. My problem has been depression (HIV resulted from a workplace injury)has led me to gain over 100lbs since I've beeen pos. After years of psych. therapy I'm finally OK with my HIV and now have to deal the fact that I weigh 292lbs at 5'6" female. My HIV MD says my type2 diabetes and hypertension are a direct result of the massive amount of weight I've gained in the last 5 years. The more weight I gain the more HTN and DM problems. I mentioned that I wanted to get Gastric bypass surgery and he said go for it! "At this point the HTN and DM are going to kill you way before HIV becomes a factor in your health." I spoke with one gastric bypass surgeon who said I am a great candidate for the procedure due all of my health problems, he has disqualified me as a candidate because of the HIV itself. He believes it would be deterimental to my HIV care if I have the gastric bypass. I have found no info on the internet yet that states HIV is a means for disqualifying patients. I just think this particular MD doesn't want to deal with my surgery because I'm HIV+ and he afraid of accidental transmission during open procedure. Do you have any more concrete info?

Response from Dr. Henry

If you are doing well HIV wise as you indicate then there is no reason from the HIV perspective to believe that your benefit from the surgery and side effect risk would be much different than the standard patient. I would clear many of my HIV+ patients for surgery from the medical/HIV perspective. KH

Previous
Grapefruit
Next
effects of HIV drugs on PSA

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.