Neuropathy ?

Hello Doctor, I am experiencing strange sensations in my feet and legs when I lie down to sleep. It feels as if bubbles are passing through my veins in my feet an legs.A bit disconcerting ! I also more nights than not, get cramps in my feet. My toes actually curl up. I am on many meds after 24 years , but the HIV meds are Keletra , Epivir, Videx and Zerit. I am also having a problem with Lipoatrophy in my face and Lipotistrophy in my gut. Is there any hope with new meds that thes problems are being addressed ? Thanks for your help and Happy Holidays ! Jim Hyde

Those sensations you are experiencing in your feet could well be drug related peripheral neuropathy so a discussion with your HIV specialist is warranted. Fat loss has been linked to use of drugs like Zerit so again your HIV specialist will need to review what options to switch to other agents are available given your treatment and resistance history. Finally, increased fat in the gut can be somewhat amendable to exercise, diet, hormone optimization (testosterone replacement if low). For the latter various diabetic drugs and growth hormone are being evaluated for safety and effectiveness. Those issues are getting lots of attention and there is hope that some of the newer meds may be more fat friendly which is regarded as an important attribute. KH

HIV Meds & Recreational drugs
H Pylori, Trizivir and Nexium