Reyataz and neuropathy in already affected patient

I'm a 64 year old woman (who you helped a couple weeks ago).I am to resume treatment. Most recently took Combivir and Viramune, though nothing for three years because of severe neuropathy and pretty good blood reports. Now it is suggested I take Reyataz (atazanavir sulfate) with Norvir, and Combivir. In readin an add for Reyataz it mentions a common side effect of "tingling or burning" in hands and feet (Sounds like more neuropathy to me). It also warns against taking with statins (I take Lipitor). And I have concern about the crossing of the blood brain barrier with at least one of the above meds. Have not started yet - want to be sure it is the best combination for me at this time. In regard to my previous question about whether to resume treatment by clinic doctors finally agree I should resume.- But I do not want to worsen Neuropathy I have it severly.

Protease inhibitors can aggravate neuropathy but not to the degree usually seen with some of the "D" drugs (ddI, ddC, D4T). I have used a lot of Norvir + Reyataz and have only had several patients in whom I thought their neuropathy worsed or developed. Lipitor can be used but at low doses and carefully monitored by your HIV doc. The blood brain issue is a good question-generally patients have done OK with a regimen such as is under consideration for you though CNS penetration and protection is an area of concern. KH

treatment interruption
Truvada side-effects?