Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Genotropin
Dec 17, 2004

I have been living with AIDS for almost 10 years and wasting has always been a problem. My face is so sunken that I got depressed and asked my doctor for help. My doctor precsribed Genotropin (growth hormone)5mg per day. The delivery device I recieved only delivers a maximum 2mg dose. I called the manufactuteres on-call nurse and she thought maybe it's 0.5 mg not 5mg, and referred me back to my doctor. I am frustrated and wondering what is the usual dose per day for a man who weighs 151 pounds. Of course my doctor is double checking the prescription, but when I researched sesostrim (growth hormone) studies...Aids patients only recieved 0.1 mg per day. HELP

Response from Dr. Henry

Most of the use of human growth hormone in the setting of HIV/AIDS has been with the Serostim formulation and not Genotropin. For someone at your weight a typical dose would be 4-6 mg/day (0.1mg/day)when AIDS wasting is being treated. I haven't used Genotropin for HIV patients so I can't say for sure what the comparable dosing would be. The delivery devices for Genotropin look like they are set up for a different dosing scheme (that drug is approved for deficiency syndromes/short stature). Much lower doses of Serostim are being looked at for treatment of liposytrophy (excess fat). KH

Previous
RE Hello from france
Next
Testosterone needs

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.