hip pain, meds

i have finally been diagnosed with moderate to marked osteoporosis of the hips. whether this is due to avascular necrosis is unclear, but i have been positive for over 20 years. my age is51 and i do not belong to any high-risk group associated with this condition. side effects of some antiretrovirals have caused me to have buffalo hump as well as gynocomastia, along with a miriad of other problems. is there a connection between hiv meds causing hip osteoporosis, or hiv causing the problem? i am really ready to throw in the towel. thanks,mark

Rates of bone loss (osteoporosis) appear to be higher in HIV+ persons. The role of therapy remains unclear. Assessment with a DEXA scan for bone density is often done and supplementation with calcium and vitamin D is often recommended. The possible benefit of alendronate once a week for osteoporosis is being evaluated in both male and female patients in an ACTG study. As far as aseptic necrosis of the hip goes, some studies linked it to other factors (such as use of corticosteroids or high lipid levels). I have had a handful of patients develop aseptic necrosis and who have undergone hip replacement (a tough procedure with grueling rehab) with ultimately good results. KH

Born with toxoplasmosis
should i avoid hgh?