Could this be the first signs of wasting?

I was diagnosed with HIV/AIDS in January of 2003. At the time of diagnoses I was hospitalized with a cd4 of 50, viral in the hundred thousands and with PCP. My lowest weight was 137 pounds. I started a drug regime of combivir and sustiva and seem to have recovered well. My last labs in July of 04 my cd4 had dropped from 560 to 351 and my viral (which has never stayed undectable) was decatable at 157. Prior to going for my last check up I noticed that I was losing weight again. I was back up to 197 even though much of that I beleive is fat due to my arms and legs still being very skinny. On July 27th I weighed 194 pounds and as of today I am down to 184 and my cloths are bagger than before. I know I am losing weight and I am not trying too. Could this be the first signs of wasting and disiese progression? I am concerned but my doc wants me to wait until the end of october before I see her again. Not sure if I am just being to parnoid or if I should insist on being seen sooner.

It is fairly common to rapidly gain weight and then lose some of the weight on that regimen even when doing well from the HIV and immune standpoint. An assessment of the distribution of the weight/fat by your HIV doc is important. Optimization of nutrition, exercise, and hormone status can be helpful. KH

Steroids for thighs
Born with toxoplasmosis