Night Sweats

Dear Dr. Keith,

I am a nurse and my cousin is been asking me a lots of question about HIV. My cousin is been positive for 4 years now, she started her therapy with combivir & sustiva for almost six weeks now, her CD4 before therapy is about 450 and VL about 5,000. My question to you is, about night sweats. She been having a night sweats for a week now. She is not sick, no fever nor cough, even her x-ray result is clear. Which lead me to think that she doesn't have a TB. My only question is, why is she having a night sweats now right after few weeks of having therapy since she doesn't have it before she started her medication. Is the night sweat signifies any OI or a side effects of the medicatons? Aside from that she is well tolerating the medications, aside from getting a bloating and hyperacidity. She had her bld. drawn yesterday to see how well she is doing with the medications that she just started, and will be seing her Primary provider next weeks. The only thing is, she is so worried about it and can't wait for next week to seek an answer for her night sweats. Pls. be so kind to answer my question. I felt terribly bad if she ask me a question that I don't have an answer.Thank you for your effort.

worried cousin

Some patients paradoxically develop symptoms when antiretroviral medications are started (partly due to the awakening or sudden shifts occuring in the immune system). Night sweats per se are not very common with your cousin's regimen though sleep abnormalities with nightmares and sweats is seen with the Sustiva. I would want to know the details of the new night sweats if I was the HIV provider (who would know what the TB status and other medical history) in order to both assess what could be causing that and to reassure the patient. KH

Glucosimine Interacts with HIV Meds?
Skinny but HIGH cholesterol!