painful gums and painful teeth

I am HIV+ for over 20 years. My health and counts are good. I am on Sustiva and Truvada. This past week I had a swollen place on my gum around a tooth. I just ignored it. Over the week it spread across my gum area from one side to the other then across the lower gums in a similar fashion. They were red and inflamed and extremly painful and my teeth felt as if they were crushing. I called several doctor friends including my dentist and perodontist and they were all stumpped. None of them are very experienced with HIV. Could this be bacterial, viral, drug, or just plain freaky HIV-related thing? Any guesses would be appreciated. The only treatment we went for was pain management and now after about a week to 10 days (LOL) it seems to be improving. I would love to know how to prevent this or treat it better in the future. This was second only to my Crixivan kidney sludge pain that cased my ureter to pop off my kidney. Thanks in advance. Philip of Oxford

Response from Dr. Conway

This could be one of a few things. Gingivitis is more common with HIV disease, as is dry mouth, both of which could be contirbuting to your condition. The fact that it is getting better makes it less likely that it is something like Kaposi's sarrcoma or some other cancer-type lesion.

The keys here are to make sure your CD4 count is high (this helps control such things), to make sure you see a dentist regularly for dental hygiene and to make sure you chew sugarless gum or do something else to combat dry mouth if this is a problem for you.

Skinny but HIGH cholesterol!
Thank Your Dr. Conway