Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My tooth !!!
Dec 5, 2004

Hi,

I wrote you about the poor situation of my tooth which is breaking and falling... I write back but still I don't have THE answer on how I should control this.

The enamel of my tooth is simply disappearing and my biggest fear is my front tooth will get damaged ... my doctor told my all of them are cracked and he ordered a special material to create some layer to the 6 front teeth. Can this help? I am going through gum surgery once in 2 years, now my doctor told me I should stop drinking cola, I should not take big bites with the front teeth etc. What else can I do? What about getting pregnant? i know "normal" women suffer from tooth problems while being pregnant so what will happen to me? Isn't a sugarless gum as you have recommended can make things worse? Please help me as I am most frustrated.

Response from Dr. Conway

It sounds as if you have a very good support system and a plan of care. The issues here are the higher likelihood of periodontal and gum disease that requires good dental hygiene, frequent dental cleaning and anything else your doctor recommends. The key here is to control the amount of bacteria that collect between your teeth. It sounds like you have a good plan for this.

This is also a good setting to make sure you are on HAART if you need it, because all of this gets worse if your CD4 count is lower, especially if it is below 100.

The problem with cola is that it is abrasive to your teeth and the sugar in the cola promotes the accumulation of bacteria in your mouth. The sugarless gum has no sugar (so it does not promote the accumulation of bacteria) and helps to prevent dryness in the mouth, another bad thing for your teeth.

The issues you are facing will take time to fix, so you need to be patient, and make sure you understand the plan that you and your doctor are designing to move forward.

Good luck...

Previous
Truvada and lypodistrophy
Next
Living with diarrhea !!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.