Can't get up in the morning

I'm 48 y.o. male. Been HIV + for 9 years. Still healthy. Currently on Viread, Hydroxyurea, Viramune and Videx for HIV, Provachol for cholesterol; Atenelol and Lotensin for High Blood Pressure an Effexor for Depression.

The Problem is I fall into a very deep sleep (sometime around 5 in the morning I think) and have a very hard time waking up and becoming alert. I take B vitamins or stimulants to get myself going, but it takes one to two hours for the "brain fog" to clear.

My doctor, who is an HIV expert, assures me that none of the HIV meds are causing this problem. I find this hard to believe. I didn't have this problem on my first two regimens--I don't think the problems began til I was put on Sustiva (I have since switched to Viread).

My doctor believes this is a symptom of depression. I find that hard to believe.

He tried me on an anti-narcoleptic drug for about a month and it did nothing for me.

What is going on here? Please help--this is almost a disabling condition, since I can't get up and go to a job during normal working hours.

Nothing obvious comes to mind with that history that it seems like you have a very disordered sleep pattern. I refer patients such as yourself to our local excellent sleep clinic who often point us in the correct direction for diagnosis and management. KH

weight loss
Son diagnosed with JC virus