squamous cell carcinoma / I. from SA

Dear Doctor, I refer to the mails of 24 Nov. when I wrote that I was diagnosed with aquamous cell carcinoma after taking out one of the lymph nodes. Yesterday I was scanned on: brain, neck, chest and abdo-pelvic, CT Scans. The results showed no findings. Even USG made additionally on abdominal part did not show any sign of primary. What can it mean ? Now I am ready to fight the problem with positive attitude, but I don't know what to fight as there are only those swollen lymphs nodes. I suppose there will have to be some other examinations ? What do you think ? Greetings from Africa I.

Response from Dr. Conway

I am glad we had an open mind, as we are not there yet. There are a few things to say here. I would want to make certain that the original diagnosis is correct and, if so, whether the biopsy itself suggest where the primary lesion might be. Second, some small primary lesions can be missed on a CT scan, and you need to chat with the oncologist as to what specific tests or nuclear medicine scans can be done to find a small lesion, if taking another look at the biopsy indeed confirms the diagnosis of squamous cell carcinoma.

Again, we don't know until we know, so try to keep an open mind and a positive attitude throughout the process...

melanoma & interferon therapy
I. from SA