Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

which drug regimen has the least long term side-effects?
Nov 29, 2004

hi, i would like to know which hiv drug or combination-drug has shown the least detrimental side effects in the long term? i am currently on trizivir and would like to know more about its long term side effects? thanks alot

Response from Dr. Henry

That is a million-even billion dollar question and one for which we do not have absolute answers. There is wide variability between patients as to what they can tolerate and which side effects develop early or late. Added to that is the issue that we plan to treat patients likely for decades but usually have relatively short term data (in studies 1-2 years considered a long time) and there is an ineffective monitoring program after FDA approval at least in the US. Though Trizivir has lost favor recently as an initial therapy for many patients it is effective and well tolerated and would be a good choice for long term treatment if the virus is controlled and there is no evidence of resistance. KH

Previous
CRAWLING SENSATION UNDER SKIN
Next
WHAT HAPPENING TO MY TOOTH???

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.