Side effect: Smell of burning rubber

Do you have any suggestions for helping eliminate the side effect of the smell of burning rubber? I have been diagnosed HIV+ for almost 20 years, I am just returning to medication after a 2 year drug holiday. I am currently on Reyataz, Viread, Norvir and Ziagen and after a week on these medications, I have noticed a smell of burning rubber. No one else notices it, so it's not comming from me, but it is something that I smell. Some foods and odors seem to make it worse, for example, I used to love the smell and taste of coffee, but that beverage now smells like burnt rubber, so I gave up drinking coffee (and saved about $4/day). I have been on other combinations of drugs and never experienced this side effect. It seems to diminish if I can do a really good tounge brushing and oral/throat cleansing. It is not bad enough to switch medication, as the results of this combination and the once a day dosing are easy to handle. I have seen that several others have written about this, and some wondered if the smell came from them, but in my experience, it is always triggered by certain foods or other smells.

Response from Dr. Conway

I must say that I have not heard of this side effect very much, although I am glad it is saving you almost $1500/year on coffee!!!

I wonder whether it is the Norvir, because this is the one drug that can be well absorbed in the tissues of the mouth, due to its oil base. I would add that this is much more common with the liquid formulation. You might try making sure my mouth is very cold (i.e. sucking on a piece of ice) before taking your medications to see if this makes a difference.

Truvada side-effects?
Is this Stevens Johnson Syndrome