Truvada side-effects?

Hi... I have been on treatment for 6 weeks, starting with Epzicom/Sustiva, switched to Truvada at week 2 because of a developing reaction. (My Dr. claims he has a cabinet full of returned Ziagen products..he said he may cease using it as a first line... so much for the company's 3% reports of "sensitivity".) So far, I feel pretty normal. I have noticed one difference in my general systemic function: After I eat anything containing a substantial amount of sugar, I could fall fast asleep standing up. Could this be hypoglycemia? Is it any danger?

Also, I seem to have soft stools; not diarrhea, but not the once-per-day normal stool I generally have. I have no bloating, gas or cramping, so I can't imagine this is any infectious manifestation. Any thoughts? Thanks

Response from Dr. Conway

I'm glad you're tolerating the Truvada well. As for the Ziagen, the rate of true hypersenstitivity is actually about 3%, but some doctors and patients feel this risk (and the need to monitor patients who experience minor side effects that could turn into hypersensitivity) does not justify the use of Ziagen for them. This is clearly an individual decision.

As for your own issues, it sound as if life is fairly good. The mild diarrhea is non-specific and will probably go away over time if it is due to one of your drugs. You might think about some tests to make sure there is not some other cause of the diarrhea. The "falling asleep standing up" may relate to the Sustiva more than anything and I would try to figure out when during the day it happens (if there is a pattern) and changing the time you take the Sustiva to make sure the peak blood levels of Sustiva occur while you are sleeping already.

I hope this helps.

SEROSTIM: DO PROS OUT WEIGH CONS?
Side effect: Smell of burning rubber