Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Dr Brian - follow up from I./SA

Dear Doctor Brian, I hope you are doing well. I would like to refer to our exchange of emails of 9 & 10 Nov. Since that short time many things happened. First of all after decreasing dose of Hydrea from 1000mg daily to 500 only, my CD4 count grew from 245 to 491 withing 7 weeks.That was a very joyfull news for me. The second thing that happened is terrible. My doctor and I decided to examine my increased lymph nodes. Next day I went to hospital for excision (not needle biopsy) of one of the nodes, the biggest (like a cherry) one located in the depression between neck & shoulder, then it was sent to the pathologist. Yesterday I've got the results: squamous cell carcinoma. Shock which I will not describe. Why, where from ? I have such good results with my HIV treatment, now even improved, except side effects I am very healthy person, no external signs or internal doubts of any cancer. No family history. No idea where I can have it at all.So it was decided that I go tomorrow to the oncology centre, they will do some scans to find the prime and decide abt treatment. I have the strong will to fight, to be optimistic and positive. But believe me it is not easy. May I have 2 questions, please? My surgery cutting of this node was last Wedn (tomorrow will be a week) and I am still suffering from nausea and dizziness. This is very disturbing, but doctor gave me tablets. Is such a symptom explicable such a long time after anesthesy ? Question 2: This carcinoma - can it be caused by HIV, how dangerous it is? Is the treatment bearable for a body? I was told that the differentiation is well.

Any information on the above will make me very, very grateful. Greetings from beautiful summer SA. I.

Response from Dr. Conway

I am very sorry to hear of this. Right now, it is important not to jump to any conclusions until the oncologist has had a chance to address the issue, figure out where the cancer started and where it has spread. Based on this, treatment options and prognosis can be discussed. I really hope you have someone with whom you can share your hopes and your fears at this difficult time. We at "The Body" are certainly in your corner. But until all the facts are figured out, try to have an open mind.

how long do you live for?
FACE RASH/DRY SKIN