ARV Meds

I've recently started taking AZT, 3TC and Nevirapine combo at 7 am and 7 pm. Pls enlighten me on the ff:

1. Since i'm taking the generics, what major side effects are common against the branded meds?

2. Is it always required to take them with full stomach? I'm not used to eating at those time however induced myself to eat prior to medications. Will a light snack be enough?

Thanks. Fr Dave of Manila

Response from Dr. Conway

There are no side effect differences between the generic and branded drugs, and you can take them with a light snack quite apprpriately. The 3TC has few if any side effects. The nevirapine may cause a skin rash in the first few weeks of therapy. If this occurs, you need to discuss this with your doctor as to whether it is appropriate for you to continue on your medications, as the rash can become quite severe in 1-2% of cases. Also, if your CD4 count is >400, you are at risk of hepatic side effects. if it is <400, you don't need to worry about it nearly as much. As for the AZT, it may make you feel unwell for a little while, but this usually passes in a number of weeks. You are also at risk of anemia, and blood tests need to be done to monitor this. All of this being said, most people do just fine.

Congratulations on taking the important step of committing to HAART and good luck...

Thank You Dr. Conway and The Body
Kaletra-facial wasting and lypodistrophy