Adding Virocept to an ongoing PEP treatment Y/N?

I began a PEP treatment within 30 hours of a high risk incident. The PEP treatment is 300mg of AZT and 150 mg of Epivir both twice daily. It is my sixth day of treatment, and I suddenly "discovered" that I should also be taking Viracept as well. Is it too late to begin taking this med as well (through the 28 day period) or should I just continue with AZT and Epivir? What are the pros and cons? Since the 72 hr window is passed, has the effectiveness of adding Viracept also passed?

Response from Dr. Conway

This is a bit of a difficult question. Although it would have been better to add the Viracept from the beginning (as you point out), there may still be a benefit to adding it now. If you were to get significant diarrhea with it, you could just stop it and finish the 28 days with AZT/Epivir.

I would add that there are no clear data on this issue, and I am simply applying the principles of HAART that I know, as they should also apply here. This being said, the key is to do the best you can and you are to be commended for starting the treatment as soon as you did after the exposure.

Good luck...

Sustiva/Combivir
Help with locating a Doctor