PML in HIV

I am nurse who visits patients at home. I have a patient diagnosed with AIDS/PML who is doing very well physically but who has significant memory deficits.

Where can I find information on PML in general and on behavioral treatments (if any)? All I've been able to find is info about different medications, but I'd like to know if there are any functional therapies known to help with memory issues, recall, etc.

Response from Dr. Conway

The best approach here would be to get him/her on potent antiretroviral therapy, if this is at all possible. The improvement in the immune system goes a long way towards helping control the symptoms of PML.

As for behavioral and other therapies, I was surprised and disappointed not to find much related specifically to PML or even AIDS dementia. However, the principles are almost the same as for Alzheimer's disease, except obviously for the antiretroviral therapies that can help with AIDS dementia or PML.

The site www.alz.org is a wealth of information and resources that could help you and your patient.

dealing with lipodystrophy
Seizures