dealing with lipodystrophy

Hi, I was diagnosed HIV+ 10 years ago when I was 19 years old. 7 years ago when I was critical with CD4=3 and 1,000,000 vl, I started with the cocktail. Today my vl is <24 copies for about 3 years and about 800 cd4.

The thing is have started with hard lipo about 6 years ago and since then my doctor switched the meds often but no improvement. When I started with the meds, I started with crixivan which is well known today as a main cause for the lipo, then my doctor switched it to kaletra which again known as causing for the lipo and for the few past years I took zerit+videx+stocrin. Last year after pressing my doctor he took off the zerit and gave me viread instead. I know that the viread isn't known for causing the lipo but it's a year now since I 've stopped with the zerit and I feel the same, my legs are skinny with veins all out, huge stomach and hard lipo at my arms. Could it be things are getting worse even i've stopped with the zerit?

I am so frustrated, I started going to the gym , and my doctor says maybe diabetic meds will help me, what else can I do? Will it stay this way forever? Is there any hope for me? please I beg for some help !!! Everywhere I go people are looking at me, I feel so bad ! PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Response from Dr. Conway

I am so sorry for your situation. However, you should know that without the medications you took at the time that you took them, you would probably not be alive now...

Now, what to do? As far as your medications go, the only change I might still suggest is to substitute Atazanavir/Ritonavir for the Stocrin. This is because Atazanavir is not at all associated with lipodystrophy, and there are a few case reports of patients showing some reversal of lipodystrophy after switching to it.

As far as exercise goes, it would be important that it be regular and combine both cardio and weight work to be most effective. You might expect some good results, though...

As for diabetic medications, they do not appear to work for this. You might think about Serostim if you have insurance to pay for it, as it is quite expensive.

Good luck in dealing with this situation, and try to draw some strength and solace from the fact that you had a CD4 count of 3 and were at great risk of death at some point in the past. And keep your fingers crossed that someone smarter than I will discover the "miracle" cure in our lifetimes....

IgE levels are so high???
PML in HIV