Nov 10, 2004
I am a HIV male who recently had a cold sore. I performed oral sex on my girlfriend and about four days later she calls me and says that she went to the doctors and they told her that she has gential herpes. My question is does she have to worry about contacting HIV?
| Response from Dr. Conway
To be honest, she should be a bit concerned and get tested. We know you had an open lesion and that increases the risk of transmission of HIV. However, the risk of transmission from oral sex is extremely low to start with, and the magnitude of increased risk is unclear, much less than 1%.
Nonetheless, it is worthwhile to get the testing done to be able to make decisions with all the facts in hand.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Enlarged Lymph Nodes After Anal Sex Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Flaky Skin After Touching Vaginal Fluid Worried I Have HIV
- Painful Red Spots After Drinking Water Worried I Have HIV
- Penis Discharge After Blood Splash Worried I Have HIV
- Purple Spots After Kissing Stripper Worried I Have HIV
- Sore On Penis After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.