Concerned

I am a HIV male who recently had a cold sore. I performed oral sex on my girlfriend and about four days later she calls me and says that she went to the doctors and they told her that she has gential herpes. My question is does she have to worry about contacting HIV?

Response from Dr. Conway

To be honest, she should be a bit concerned and get tested. We know you had an open lesion and that increases the risk of transmission of HIV. However, the risk of transmission from oral sex is extremely low to start with, and the magnitude of increased risk is unclear, much less than 1%.

Nonetheless, it is worthwhile to get the testing done to be able to make decisions with all the facts in hand.

to Dr Brian Conway from South Africa
Fifth's disease and HIV