sweating stopped

About three years ago, I started stinging all over whenever I became overheated, like working out at the gym or when the room temperature was over 78 degrees. I had gone through profuse night sweats years before which have all but stopped. Then, this stinging. I also noticed I stopped sweating completely at the same time except for 2-3 weeks in the winter when again I experience profuse night sweats. My doctors sent me to an allergy clinic where they diagnosed the condition as colenergic uticaria and treated me with antihistamines with little results. I'm thinking the condition is more like chronic idiopathic anhidrosis. I have had peripheral neuropathy for the same amount of time which has pretty much subsided. Is this lack of sweating condition related to HIV and possibly neuropathy? Is it common with other HIV+ persons and is there any treatment for it other than antihistamines?

That is not a common problem in HIV patients. It is possible that it could be an unusual manifestation of HIV or antiretroviral therapy. If is is due to HIV then HIV therapy might help. If treatment of HIV is linked to it then changing the drugs (such as minimizing the chances for mitochondrial toxicity) could help. Many drugs or allergens can trigger urticaria which can be very frustrating. Use of H2 blockers (such as cimetidine) or low dose oral steroids has helped a few of my patients as well as the standard anti-histamines you have tried already. I assume you have been seen by a good dermatologist already? KH

politics aside
Facial Wasting + Aging