MRI - Cervical Spine

Dr.Conway, I have been suffering from painful Neuropathy!! I went to a Neurologist, and she told take pamelor and have an MRI of my neck??? I picked up the report today and I am concerned and do not understand what all this means!! Could you PLEASE help me??? I do not have a follow up app. for 6 WEEKS! Findings:The Marrow signals normal.Alignment has no subluxations. The visualized cervical cord has abnormal signal centrally at mid C6 through C7.A second area of slight central core signal is seen along the inferior aspect of C7. This likely represents a small cervical syrinx. There is no signifiant cord enlargement. The C2-C3 level appears normal in disk height and hydration.There is minimal uncal vertebral overgrowth noted on the right resulting in mild narrowing of the right foramen. ANY help understanding what this means would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thank for being here!!! RR

Response from Dr. Conway

Pamelor or nortryptiline is (along with a related drug called amitryptiline) often used in the symptomatic treatment of peripheral neuropathy.

The report you present is simply pointing out a small accumulation of fluid (the syrinx) without associated cord enlargement. This is probably just a variant of almost normal and is not causing you any symptoms. The mild narrowing of the space between C2 and C3 is also probably not causing you any symptoms. In summary, I am not seeing much in the report that would worry me or explain any significant symptoms you may have.

As an aside, in our university, you could probably call up the neurologist over the phone to chat about the result even if you do not have an appointment. I wonder if this possibility is available to you? This would be best for you, I would think...

Varicella (chicken Pox) Vaccination
False +