Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Varicella (chicken Pox) Vaccination
Nov 3, 2004

Dear Dr. Henry,

Thank you very much for your reply on the topic "just started treatment and very concerned". I have anoher question for you, my cousin (HIV+) who just started her treatment 2 weeks ago with combivir and Sustiva, is asking me about her getting a chicken pox vaccination. She is 34 years old now and she never had a chicken pox before. Is it safe for her to get a varicella vaccination since it is a live vaccine? her latest bld. works pre-treatment was CD4 441 and viral load 5,000. She wanted to get pregnant so her Dr. put her on combo in preperation for her pregnancy. I don't know what to tell her. Maybe you could help me find an answer to her question. Thank you again for your support. God Bless you!

worried cousin

Response from Dr. Henry

HIV+ adults who are not significantly immune suppressed (such as your cousin with a good CD4 count and now on treatment with a low HIV level) can be safely vaccinated with the herpes zoster vaccine. I don't recommend use of Sustiva if a women is planning or hoping to get pregnant (due to concern about fetal abnormalities)--I use alternative drugs (which ones depend on the individual situation). KH

Previous
Asymmetrical Leg & Arm Pain/Weakness
Next
MRI - Cervical Spine

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.