Epzicom Rash/malaise

Hi...my last cd4 was 290 & VL 33,000. I was also found to have a secondary syphilis infection that was treated with one shot. My Dr. elected not to do 3 shots & monitor the titers. Never any OI's.

I just started treatment 13 days ago with Epzicom/Sustiva. I have been feeling malaise & have had soft stools for several days now and this morning woke up with a non-itchy light rash on my stomach, itchy soles of feet and hot, flushed ears. My Dr. advised me to take my dose again tonight and monitor the rash/symptoms for worsening. Since I am now no longer treatment naive, does this possible discontinuation & med change adversely effect my situation? What other non-PI regimens might I try?

Thanks, Rick

Response from Dr. Conway

First, I would see what happens over the next week. To date, your symptoms do not fit the definition of an abacavir reaction, so it is safe to continue your medications with careful monitoring. If the rash is due to Sustiva, most of them would go away with symtomatic intervention (antihistamines and analgesics). If it does not get better and you have to stop all your medications, you may not be reducing your treatment options. There are many nucleoside combinations that do not contain abacavir. However, if the reaction is severe and you need to stop your medications and it is felt to be due to the Sustiva, going to another NRRTI is, I'm afraid, not an option. You may be able to go to a simple PI such as Reyataz, though, and keep the pill count (and the frequency of administration) down to once a day... Still many options, my friend...

Weight loss programs
rash from Epzicom OR Sustiva?