Changing the present regime OR add new drugs

Hi. My brother has been taking stavudine/lamivudine/efavirenz for nearly 2 years. 3 months back viral load is >600,000. Diarrhoea iscoming regularly 10-15 days period. Loss of weight. What do we have to do ,change to some other regime OR add some more drug? Can diarrhoea be due to a drug side effect? I am waiting for your reply egarly. I am doctor working in India.

thanks.

Response from Dr. Conway

I truly congratulate you for taking on such a difficult and heroic task as working with HIV/AIDS in India. There is a need for more people like you!!!

As for this patient, if the viral load is confirmed to be this high and the patient is taking his medications, this indicated high-grade virologic failure and there is a need to change the entire regimen. As for the diarrhea, after 2 years on treatment, it is increasingly unlikely that it is caused by the medications, and I would look for an infectious (bacterial or parasitic, most commonly) or non-infectious cause to it. While you are figuring this out, you could leave him off HAART as long as his CD4 count is above 200. If this is not the case, you should pick a new regimen and work up the diarrhea at the same time.

Good luck with all your work...

Is this an advisable change?
The Egyptian woman